Before getting started: This article covers the latest version of Cogeco Security, which is available for free to all Cogeco Internet subscribers. Learn more about updating to the new version.
With Cogeco Security enabled on your device, the program will always be scanning incoming files for malicious software like viruses. You can also run a manual scan of all files on your device if you suspect you have a virus.
- Virus scanning is available on Windows, macOS and Android, but not on iOS devices.
- Since Cogeco Security uses cloud-based services for threat detection, new information and alerts can be added right away so you’re always protected from the latest threats.
- If you haven’t yet installed our latest security software on the device you want to protect, see our instructions for installing Cogeco Security.
Running a manual virus scan
- Open the Cogeco Security program on your device.
- Select Viruses & Threats.
- Select Scan or Quick scan.
- You’ll then see the scan progress and the confirmation when it’s complete.
Setting up scheduled scanning
On a Windows computer, you can also set up scheduled scanning to scan and remove harmful software.
- Open the Cogeco Security program on your computer.
- From the home screen, select Viruses & Threats.
- Select Settings under Tools.
- Note: This will require Admin access on your computer so you may be prompted to log in.
- Select Scanning settings from the left menu.
- Under Scheduled scanning, enable the option by toggling the slider to the on position.
- Set the day, time and frequency you want to scan.