To set up Internet and Wi-Fi with the Self-Install Kit we sent you, follow the steps below, or download a printable copy of the instructions. The kit includes:
- Sagemcom F@st 3896 modem (pictured below)
- Coaxial cable
- Power supply cable
- Ethernet cable
Note: If you received a different modem, select your model to get setup steps.
Caution: While you are replacing your modem, your phone and Internet services will not be operational. We recommend you perform the procedure at a time when your Phone or Internet service is not actively being used in your household.
Step 1: Remove your old equipment
If this is a replacement modem, begin by disconnecting and packing up your old equipment. If your modem has a security sleeve covering the cable connector, we’ll send you a special unlocking tool.
- Align the unlocking tool with the cable.
- Push the tool down towards the security sleeve until it is firmly connected.
- Using the handle, rotate the tool counterclockwise until the cable is separated from the modem.
- Include the security sleeve and unlocking tool when packing up your modem.
Make sure to follow the instructions for packing up your modem and returning it to us to avoid any unnecessary charges.
Step 2: Find an appropriate location for your modem
To ensure the best possible signal strength, your modem should be placed:
- In a centralized location in your home (such as in a main floor living room) and near the devices you need to connect by wire, such as a landline phone.
- In an open space.
- 3 feet off the ground.
- Away from any obstacle that may block the Wi-Fi signal such as wireless electronics, or materials like metal, concrete, or mirrored surfaces.
Step 3: Connect your modem
- Locate an unused coaxial wall outlet.
- Note: If you want to connect 2 devices to the same outlet, you can use the splitter we provided with the equipment. Learn more about using a splitter.
- Connect the coaxial cable provided from the wall outlet to the cable connector at the rear of your modem. Hand-tighten the connectors to avoid damaging them.
- Connect the power cord from the modem to an active wall power outlet. This will start the modem synchronization process, which can take 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once the process is complete, the DS and US lights will be lit (orange or green) and the 2.4G and 5G lights will turn green.
- If you do not see the correct indicator light pattern after 20 minutes, try moving your modem to another coaxial outlet in the home (if available) and repeat the above process.
Good to know: If you connect your modem to a power bar, please ensure that the power bar is always switched on.
Step 4: Set up your Wi-Fi network
Note: If this is a replacement for an existing F@st 3896, or if you were using the Cogeco Wi-Fi app with your last modem, the new modem will automatically use your existing network so no setup is needed.
Download the Cogeco Wi-Fi app on your mobile device (available through the iOS App Store or Google Play Store).
- If you are not able to download the app with your mobile data, you can connect your device to the modem temporarily using the Wi-Fi credentials on the sticker on the back of your modem.
Log in using your My Account credentials.
- Don't have My Account yet? Register here.
Follow the instructions within the app to activate and manage your Wi-Fi network.
If you will be using Cogeco Wi-Fi Pods, they will also be managed through the app.
- If you will be using Cogeco Wi-Fi Pods, they will also be managed through the app.
Note: After the initial setup, you can also manage your Wi-Fi network name and password through the app.
Step 5: Test your installation
After your installation, you will receive a text message from Cogeco confirming your installation quality level. If the signal is not good, try to tighten the coaxial cable at the back of your modem and at the outlet or refer to our additional troubleshooting steps.
Step 6: Connect your wireless device
You can now connect all your wireless devices. To learn how, refer to our articles on Wi-Fi connections.
Step 7: Connect phone service
If you also have phone service with Cogeco, follow these steps to set up your phone service.
- If your phone uses an electrical power supply, ensure it is connected to the base of your phone.
- Connect a telephone wire (not provided) from the base of your phone, and connect the other end of the wire to the phone jack on the back of the modem. The phone jack located at the top of the modem is used for Line 1.
- If you subscribe to 2 telephone lines, you may attach a second telephone to the Line 2 phone jack.
- To confirm your Cogeco phone number, dial 21# from your Cogeco phone and a message will play that will provide you with your phone number.
If you are having difficulties with your installation, feel free to call us at our Self-Install Support line to speak to an agent: 1-833-845-0064.