It’s easy to replace your phone modem with the Self-Install Kit we sent you. The kit includes:
Your new phone modem
- An Ethernet cable
- A coaxial cable
- A power cord
- An unlocking tool
Step 1: Remove your old equipment
- Disconnect your existing modem. Begin by unplugging the coaxial cable from the back of the modem. You might need to use the unlocking tool for this step.
- Align the body of the unlocking tool with the cable. Push the tool down towards security sleeve until firmly connected. Using tool handle, rotate counterclockwise until the cable is separated from the modem. Remove the security sleeve.
- Unplug the power supply from the electrical outlet and the back of the modem.
- If you have any Ethernet cables connected, unplug these from the modem as well.
Step 2: Connect your new modem
- Place your new modem in the same location as your old one.
- Connect the coaxial cable provided from the wall outlet to the cable connector at the rear of your modem. Hand-tighten the connectors to avoid damaging them. The security sleeve is not needed anymore.
- Connect the power cord from the modem to an active wall power outlet. This will start the modem synchronization process.
- Connect a telephone wire from the base of your phone to the jack on the back of the modem labelled Tel 1. If you subscribe to 2 telephone lines, you may attach a second telephone to the Line 2 phone jack.
Good to know: If you connect your modem to a power bar, ensure that the power bar is always switched on.
Step 3: Obtain your phone number
Dial 21# from your Cogeco phone and a message will play that will provide you with your phone number.
Step 4: Get your Wi-Fi credentials
Once all the modem’s lights are on, it’s time to get your Wi-Fi credentials. There are 2 ways to do this:
- If you are using one of Cogeco’s latest modems (ARRIS TG3452 or Hitron CODA-4589) consult the sticker located on the back of the modem.
- For all other modems, the credentials can be found in My Account on the Equipment page.
- If you're using Cogeco Wi-Fi Pods, the SSID and password are controlled through the Cogeco Wi-Fi App. Go to the Access tab to view networks and passwords.
- For more information, please refer to Where can I find my default network name and Wi-Fi password?
Step 5: Connect your wireless devices
You can now connect all your wireless devices. To learn how, refer to our Internet FAQs.
Step 6: Return your old phone modem
Learn how to return your equipment.
Good to know:
- From the moment you receive the package to return your old modem free of charge, you have 5 business days to do so using the enclosed pre-paid postage stamp. After that time, the pre-paid postage will expire and you will have to pay for postage.
- To find a Canada Post location near you, visit canadapost.ca.