What is SamKnows
The CRTC (Canadian Radio-Television & Telecommunication Commission) has partnered with SamKnows to research broadband performance in Canada. Volunteers can sign up to have a free SamKnows box sent to them, which will connect to their modems and measure the performance of their Internet connection.
SamKnows has run broadband research in many countries in the past, including the U.S. and U.K. To learn more about SamKnows, visit https://www.samknows.com.
How does it work?
- Whether you received an email invitation, or you are just interested in volunteering, you can sign up at Samknows.com. To keep the research neutral and independent, Cogeco cannot sign you in for this research.
- Once your application is accepted, you will receive a box with instructions to hook it up to your modem. The tests will be run by SamKnows afterwards.
The tests will be run randomly when you are NOT using your Internet service. Accordingly, the speed of your service will not be impacted; however, the test will use minimal amount from your data package.
- For more details on the length of research or other specifics, please visit SamKnows.com or contact them at community@SamKnows.com.
What happens to the test results?
- SamKnows will provide you with access to your SamKnows account with some test results.
- Only the aggregate results will be published, so nobody else will see the results from your home.
- The CRTC intends to publish the research results on a annual basis upon completion of the test.
- Cogeco, the CRTC and SamKnows will ensure that your personal information will be strictly protected and at no time will any personal information be shared or made available without your consent.