Depending on where you live, your area might have overhead cables running to each building, or it might have underground cables. If there's a problem with an overhead cable, we can usually repair or replace it right away, but if there's a problem with an underground cable, we need permission from local utilities to do any digging, so it may be necessary to run a temporary line until the repairs can be made safely.
When we run a temporary line, we will come back to replace it and complete the underground work as soon as possible.
When will the line be buried?
- Burial work can only be done when the ground is thawed (typically, line burial season goes from April 1st to October 31st).
- All work orders are prioritized based on submission date.
- When a temporary line is placed:
- In Quebec, the technician will provide an estimate when the line will be buried.
- In Ontario, you will receive the details in an email once your burial work order has been assessed. If there are any changes, such as additional work required, we will notify you again with an update.
Good to know: If this time has elapsed and your line has not yet been completed, you can email our burial team directly at email@example.com for more information (Ontario-only).
What you need to know about our line burial process
- We don’t need access to your home or business to perform the burial.
- Our burial crew may require access to your neighbour’s property. If this is the case, we will request access once on site.
- We will need Ontario 1 Call to mark the locations of utilities, but you don’t have to worry about any of that; we take care of everything.
- We will also notify you when the work has been completed:
- In Quebec, we will leave a door tag with a toll free number that you can call if you have any concerns.
- In Ontario, we will notify you by email.
- The cable line will be buried less than a foot under the soil, unless there is an existing conduit run on the property.
- Note: It may be the customer’s responsibility to replace any damaged conduit, but you will be advised if this is required.
- Our burial repair crew will ensure your landscaping is kept to its original condition.
What if there is a problem with the temporary line?
If the temporary cable line is posing a safety issue, has not been removed, or if the cable line has snapped or become broken, please contact our Technical Support team (see Residential or Business contacts).
cable lines in the ground
line not buried
wires not buried