To reach the fastest speeds ever offered by Cogeco, up to 1 Gbps shared between personal Internet devices, you must connect your computer (or other devices) directly to your modem using an Ethernet cable.
About the Cogeco equipment
In order to reach the speed of 1 Gbps or 360 Mbps, you need to use our modem and our advanced AC Wi-Fi router. To get the best coverage throughout your home, you may also need AC Wi-Fi extenders.
Good to know: Your speed may vary depending on the configuration and size of your living space.
About your personal devices
There are many factors that affect the speeds you can reach on your personal Internet devices (i.e. computers, Smart TVs, smartphones, tablets and game consoles). These factors include:
- The type and age of the device
- The operating system
- The web browser and other applications running on the device simultaneously
- Other online activities in your home happening at the same time on other personal Internet devices
Keep in mind that your Internet speed is distributed among the number of devices connected simultaneously, and that the speeds will vary depending on each device’s capability.
When connecting one personal Internet device with one Ethernet (wired) connection, you will reach speeds of up to 940 Mbps.
The newer your devices the better
We recommend using newer devices to reach maximum speeds. In fact, if you use older devices on your home network, not only will they not be able to reach maximum speeds, but they can slow down your whole network.
Recommended system requirements
- 512 GB hard drive
- 2 GB of free space
- 8 GB of RAM
- Gigabit ETH Network Card
- Processor Intel Core i7 or above
- Vista SP2, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Mac OS X (or above) or Linux (not supported by our technical support team)
- Cat5e/Cat 6 Ethernet cable
- Internet Explorer (version 11 or above), Google Chrome (version 45 or above)
Keep in mind that systems that don’t meet the minimum requirements may not be able to reach the maximum speeds.