When it comes to getting the best performance out of your Wi-Fi network, pod placement is everything.
While every home or business is unique, here are some guidelines of what to aim for when choosing where to place your pods:
Choose central locations
- If possible, place your modem and first pod in a central location to ensure the best signal distribution.
- Place your other pods in the areas where people will be using the Internet most often.
- We recommend 1 pod for every 2 rooms, spread evenly to maximize performance. Pods usually have a range of 9 to 12 meters (30 to 40 feet) through walls.
- Place the pods towards the centre of your home or business for better coverage, rather than on the exterior walls. This will also make it less likely people outside will be able to connect to your guest network if it isn’t password-protected.
- Wireless phone bases, large appliances and microwaves can create interference, so place your pods away from these items.
- Reflective surfaces can also reflect the signal, so do not place your pods near large mirrors or windows.
- Avoid putting your pods in closed, cramped spaces, such as cabinets, closets and drawers.
Maintain line of sight between pods
- When possible, place your pods in a way that there’s a direct line of sight between them, since this can increase their range and help with coverage.
- With a line of sight, pods have a range of about 18 to 24 meters (60 to 80 feet).
Connect a pod through a wired connection
- If you’re having trouble getting Wi-Fi service to a particular spot in your home or business due to interference, you can use the pod’s Ethernet port to make a wired connection to your modem.
- Learn more about connecting pods via Ethernet.
Check your connection status
Once you’re set up, you can check the connection status of each pod in our Wi-Fi app.
- The app will take some time to optimize your network so we recommend waiting until the next day to check the pod status.
- Residential customers can see this on the Adapt tab in the Cogeco Wi-Fi app.
- Business clients can see this under Settings > Pods in the Cogeco Business Wi-Fi app.
Additional considerations for businesses
There are certain placement challenges that are more common in business setups. Consider the following if you’re placing pods in your business:
- Businesses may have additional causes of interference, such as energy-efficient windows, metallic shades/blinds, heavy metal doors and reinforced concrete floors with HVAC ducting.
- Pods are easy to unplug so a guest may unplug one, not realizing what it is, when looking for an outlet. Avoid placing your pods where they are physically accessible to guests and instead, put them closer to the ceiling or behind a counter.